- Eric Foner, The Story of American Freedom
- Theodore Rosengarten, All God's Dangers
- Thomas Sugrue, The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit
- Heilbroner, Robert L. The Worldly Philosophers: The Lives, Times and Ideas of the Great Economic Thinkers. Touchstone, 1999
- Wallerstein, Immanuel. The Modern World-System. Academic Press, 1980
- Zinn, Howard. A People’s History of the United States, 1492- Present. Harper, 2005
- Ulrich, Laurel Thatcher. A Midwife's Tale
- Takaki, Ronald. Strangers from a Different Shore
- Franklin, John Hope. From Slavery to Freedom
- Jon Butler, Becoming America: The Revolution Before 1776.
- Gordon S. Wood, The American Revolution: A History.
- James M. McPherson, Ordeal by Fire: The Civil War and Reconstruction.
- Anderson, Benedict. Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origins and Spread of Nationalism, New Edition. Verso, 2006.
- Said, Edward. Orientalism. Vintage, 1979
- Mattingly, Garrett. The Armada
- Sauer, Carl Ortwin. The Early Spanish Main
- Ginzburg, Carlo. The Cheese and the Worms
- Bender, Thomas. A Nation Among Nations: America’s Place in the World. New York: Hill and Wang, 2006.
- Marks, Robert B. The Origins of the Modern World: A Global and Ecological Narrative, 2 nd Ed. Oxford: Rowman and Littlefield, 2006.
- Pomeranz, Kenneth. The Great Divergence: China, Europe and the Making of the Modern World Economy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2000.
- Dower, John W. Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II (2000)
- Kim, Richard E. Lost Names: Scenes from a Korean Boyhood (1998)
- Roediger, David R. The Wages of Whiteness: Race and the Making of the American Working Class (1991)
- Timothy Breen & Stephen Innes, Myne Owne Ground.
- William Cronon, Changes in the Land. Edmund Morgan, American Slavery, American Freedom.
- Jack Greene, Pursuits of Happiness.
- Loewen, James W. Lies my Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong. New York: Touchstone, 1995.
- Steinberg, Ted. Down to Earth: Nature’s Role in American History. New York: Oxford, 2002.
- Wineburg, Sam. Historical Thinking and Other Unnatural Acts: Charting the Future of Teaching the Past. Philadelphia: Temple, 2001.
- David Kennedy, Freedom from Fear: The American People in Depression and War, 1929-1945
- James Patterson, Grand Expectations: The United States, 1945-1974
- James Patterson, Restless Giant: The United States from Watergate to Bush v. Gore
- Robrt Caro The Years of Lyndon Johnson: Master of the Senate
- Blackmon, Douglas A. Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II. New York: Anchor Books, 2008.
- Larson, Edward J. Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial and America’s Continuing Debate Over Science and Religion. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1997.
- Robert Darnton. The Great Cat Massacre and Other Essays
- Marshall Berman. All That is Solid Melts into Air
- Natalie Zemon Davis. The Return of Martin Guerre