- Depression era (California and U.S.)
- Ph.D. University of California, Davis (1995)
- B.A. (1976), M.A. (1989) History, California State University, Long Beach
Selected Publications and Presentations
Conference papers, 2007-08
- “Murder Most Feminine,” Berkshire Conference of Women Historians, June 2008, Minneapolis, MN.
- “Woman to Woman, Class, Conflict and the Tehachapi Prison Experience in California.” Western Association of Women Historians, San Diego, May.
- “Writing for their Lives, ‘The Clarion’ and Female Inmates at the California Institution for Women, Tehachapi.” Western History Association, Oklahoma City, OK, October.
- At Home in the World: California Women and the Creation of Modern Environmentalism (in progress)
- The Case of Rose Bird: Gender and Politics in the California Courts, University of Nebraska Press (2016).
- Proof of Guilt: Barbara Graham and the Politics of Executing Women in America, University of Nebraska Press (2013).
- Hard Times: The History of the California Institution for Women, Tehachapi, 1933-1952. University of New Mexico Press (2009).
- The Enigma Woman: The Death Penalty of Nellie May Madison, University of Nebraska Press (May 2007).
- Front-Page Women Journalists, 1920-1950, University of Nebraska Press (May 2003).
- “Writing for Their Lives,” Western Legal History (Fall, 2008).
- “Enigma Woman: Nellie Madison, Femme Fatales and Noir Fiction,” Montana, the Magazine of Western History (Spring 2004).
- Western Association of Women Historians
- Western History Association
- HIST 208 – California History
- HIST 322 – Twentieth Century America
- HIST 435 – Women’s History
- HIST 440 – Special Topics
Back to top