- Imperial Spain
- Early Modern Europe
- Social and Religious History
- Director, Cal Poly in Spain Program
- Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 25K
- Phone: (805) 756-2885
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Texas (Austin) (1981)
I specialize in the social history of Spain (1450-1600) with an emphasis on urban history and religious development; I have published articles on early-modern European government and society, economy, and paternal policies. I have delivered papers and reviewed books on the European Witch-Hunts as well. I am currently beginning study on early Christianity as an off-shoot of my study of the Protestant Revolution and the Witch-Hunts.
Awards and Honors
- Member and Officer of the Society for Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies
- Fulbright Post-Doctoral Fellow (1982-3)
- National Endowment of the Humanities Fellow (3 occasions)
- 12 Outstanding Teaching Awards (including College Teacher of the Year at both Cal Poly and Oklahoma State)
Selected Publications and Presentations
- “Noble Status and Urban Privilege: Burgos, 1572,” The Sixteenth Century Journal 12 (1981)): 21-44.
- “Politica paternalista y orden social en la Castilla del Renacimiento,” Cuadernos de la Investigacion Historica, Brocar (University of Zaragoza) 13 (1987): 129-140.
- “The Price, Production, and Transportation of Grain in Early Modern Castile,” Agricultural History, 63 (1989): 73-91.
- “Instituciones sociales de una ciudad renacentista,” Primer Congreso Hispano-Norteamericano-Luso de Historiadores (Madrid, Spain, 1985).
- “Royal Receptions, Prestige, and Power in Sixteenth Century Burgos,” SSPHS Conference (San Diego, 1999).
- “The Witch-Hunt in Spain: Skepticism and Gender,” SSPHS Conference (Madrid, Spain, 2003).
- HIST 110: Western Civilization I
- HIST 210: World Civilization I
- HIST 452: Renaissance and Reformation Europe
- HIST 453: Religious Wars and Absolutism
- HIST 454: The Age of Revolution and Napoleon
- HIST 441: Imperial Spain
- HIST 306: The Witch-Hunt in Europe
- HUM 310: The Culture of Spain
- HIST 506: Primitive Christianity; Imperial Spain