- Intellectual History
- Science Fiction Studies
- History of Sexuality
- Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 25B
- Phone: (805) 756-2068
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D., University of California, Irvine (1996)
- M.A., University of California, Irvine (1992)
- B.A., University of California, San Diego (1990)
Awards, Honors and Professional Activities
- Distinguished Lecturer Award, California Faculty Association (Cal Poly Chapter), 2005.
- Mr. Pointy Award for the best article in Buffy Studies, 2007.
- Mr. Pointy Award for the best paper in Whedon Studies at the Sixth Biennial Slayage Conference on the Whedonverses, 2014
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Postmodern Anarchism. Lexington Books (Rowman and Littlefield), 2002.
- "Structures of Desire: Postanarchist Kink in the Speculative Fiction of Octavia Butler and Samuel Delany." In Anarchism and Sexuality: Ethics, Relationships and Power, ed. Jamie Heckert and Richard Cleminson. New York: Routledge, 2011.
- "Buffy the Postanarchist Vampire Slayer." In Post-anarchism: A Reader, ed. Duane Rousselle and Süreyya Evren. London: Pluto Press, 2011.
- "Slaying the Heteronormative: Representations of Alternative Sexuality in Buffy Season Eight Comics." In Sexual Rhetoric in the Whedonverse, ed. Erin B. Waggoner, 106 – 116. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2010.
- "Crisis of Authority Aboard the Battlestar Galactica." In New Perspectives on Anarchism, ed. Nathan J. Jun and Shane Wahl, 449 – 472. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2010.
- "Death, Sex and the Cylon: Living authentically on Battlestar Galactica." Science Fiction Film and Television vol. 5, no. 1 (2012): 85-113.
- BDSM in American Science Fiction and Fantasy. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- "'That Weird, Unbearable Delight': Representations of Alternative Sexualities in Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men Comics." Slayage: The Journal of the Whedon Studies Association 12.2/13.1 (Winter 2014/Spring 2015): http:///www.whedonstudies.tv
- "Joss Whedon's Radical Icon of Third Wave Feminism" in Marvel's Black Widow from Spy to Superhero: Essays on an Avenger with a Very Specific Skill Set, ed. Sherry Ginn. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2017
- "'Find What Warmth You Can': Queer Sexualities in Buffy Season Eight through Ten Comic Books." Special Issue of Slayage: The Journal of the Whedon Studies Association on "Queering the Whedonverses" 15.2 (Summer/Fall 2017): http://www.whedonstudies.tv
- "'A Thought Thinking Itself': Postanarchism in Grant Morrison's The Invisibles." Anarchist Developments in Cultural Studies (2018) no. 1: https://www.anarchist-developments.org/
- Liberal Arts Caucus Chair, Academic Senate, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Summer 2009 – 2012.
- Academic Senate, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Fall 2008 – 2012.
- Chair, Curriculum Committee, Department of History, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Winter 2009 – Spring 2014.
- Curriculum Committee, Department of History, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Fall 2007 – Spring 2014.
- Employment Equity Facilitator, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Fall 2009 – present.
- California Faculty Association SLO Junior Faculty Representative, Fall 2012 – Spring 2014.
- Department Chair, Fall 2014 - Summer 2017
- California Faculty Association SLO Department Chair Representative, Fall 2015 - Summer 2017
- California Faculty Association SLO Vice President, Fall 2016 - June 2018
- California Faculty Association SLO President, June 2018 - present
- Associate Editor, Anarchist Studies, April 2007 – August 2017.
- Editorial Board, Anarchist Studies, January 2000 – present.
- History 111: Western Civilization, Reformation to Twentieth Century
- History 213: Modern Political Economy
- History 303: Research and Writing Seminar in History
- History 304: Historiography
- History 307: European Thought, 1800-2000
- History 354: History of Network Technology
- WGS 340: Sexuality Studies
- History 460: Senior Project I
- History 461: Senior Project II