M.A. History - Apply
Minimum Requirements for Administration:
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- A grade point average of not less than 3.0 in the last 90 units of undergraduate course work.
- Previous coursework in History. (This may be waived at the discretion of the Graduate Coordinator.)
- Applicants whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, will need to demonstrate English proficiency. This is typically done through the TOEFL exam. Please see Cal Poly Admissions’ page for international students for more information about this requirement.
How to Apply:
Follow the directions below to ensure you submit a complete application.
- Go to Cal State Apply to complete a Cal Poly SLO Application. Cal Poly's Graduate Education website also provides tips on completing the application.
- Enter all information requested, and have official transcripts sent to Cal Poly Admissions from your undergraduate institution(s).
- Note that you can only apply to one graduate program at Cal Poly and that you cannot defer your application from one quarter to another.
- Applicants to the History M.A. program will be asked to provide the following materials:
- Statement of Purpose
- Unofficial transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
- Sample of scholarly writing approximately 4,000 to 5,000 words, or 8 to 10 pages in length. Preferably the writing sample will be research-based paper from a history course.
- For tips on what constitutes a strong writing sample and statement of purpose, see our Program Guide to Graduate Study (PDF) (also available as a fully-accessible "text-only" PDF).
- If you have any questions about how to apply, or the status of your application, please contact the Grad Ed Office (email@example.com; 805-756-2328).